NOLA Wants to Redevelop Six Flags Theme Park

Six Flags theme park in New Orleans was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Since then, the site has not been well-secured or maintained. Vandals have broken in to steal copper and even large parts of rides.
But after six years, the city is taking a step to change that. Mayor Mitch Landrieu's administration put out a call for bids Wednesday, hoping a developer will bring the abandoned property back to life. "It is a major economic development that would speak volumes for this region, not just New Orleans East, not just the city of New Orleans, but this region," said District D Councilman Jon Johnson.

The request for proposals invites bids for the likes of an amusement park, water park, retail center, or even a backlot for the growing film industry. The city will accept bids until Oct. 10. A city spokesman said officials are working to better secure the site. They are also working to auction off the site's rides or their parts, which the city now owns.

The city still owes $13 million in loans taken out to build the park in the 1990s.


Post a Comment