Pages

Subscribe:

Olympic Hopeful Selling Ad Space on Body

Herald Sun: Want to buy a piece of Claire Kelly? Want your business brand inked - forever - on her arm, potentially on show to the millions around the world who'll watch the London Olympics next year?

Top Aussie beach volleyballer Kelly is so committed to getting her and partner Carla Kleverlaan to the Olympics that she's selling tattoo space on her body for sponsors.

For $10,000 you can have a 2cm x 2cm piece of Kelly's toned and tanned left limb, while $50,000 buys 5cm x 5cm on her right arm or shoulder. There are other ... um, packages, for between $10,000 and $50,000 and an eBay auction.

The money will pay for the Gold Coast athlete and Melbourne-based Kleverlaan to join the internationally televised world pro tour, on which the pair must play at least 12 events to qualify for London

"It's taken me months to get the courage to do this and now I'm going through with it," Kelly said. "I was thinking, 'Tattoo my body with a business logo just so I can have a chance to play for my country at the Olympics? I'm crazy'!

"This is my dream and it seems crazy not to try to do something to realise the dream. We need to head off on the world tour before the end of July, we need financial backing, so I can't let fear stop me."

Kelly said she was not concerned about the criticism she'll cop for her "London Olymp-ink" campaign. "The tattoos mean much more than just the money or the business," said Kelly, who'll go through with the tattooing in early July. "The tattoos signify having the courage to have a crack at something bigger, having the guts to at least try."

Follow her on twitter: @DreamCntrlMedia or dreamcentralmedia.com.au

0 comments:

Post a Comment